- Born: Germany
- Marriage: Christian CLAY before 1766
- Died: After 1820
The follwing was copied from: Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan, Chapman Bros. (1891), pp. 652-656
When able he commenced to work, and hoarded sufficient money to take him back to New York. In that city he met a woman whose first name was Mary, and who had just come over from the Fatherland. He paid her passage, married her, and they removed to Essex County, N. J., and later to Sussex County, the same State, where they reared a large family, comprising two daughters and six [Begin Page 655] sons. They were members of the First Presbyterian Church in Sparta as early as 1780. Grandfather Clay departed this life in 1820, at the age of ninety-five years, while his wife survived him several years. Of the children of Christian and Mary Clay the following is recorded: John passed his entire life in Sussex County, N. J., and his children were Abram, Noah, Maria and Sarah; William died in Ohio; Christopher, in Sangamon County, Ill., at the age of eighty-eight years; Thomas, near Cleveland, Ohio (This would be the only error based off of information on Thomas-PAC); James removed to Kentucky and there enlisted in the service of his country in 1812, fighting under Gen. Harrison at the battle of Tippecanoe, and in the battle of the Thames. Two days after the latter engagement he was taken ill and died in Canada.
The first church of Hardyston was built on land (to the extent of 54 acres) given for that purpose by the proprietaries of New Jersey. For some years it was a mere shell of frame, roofed and weather-boarded, with roughly hewn seats for the worshippers. The galleries and steeple were added about 1804. The original frame remains to-day, apparently as strong as when first put together. The church has been twice repaired, once in 1837, at a cost of $1500; and a second time, in 1869, at a cost of $4000. The original members of the church are supposed to have numbered ten, and to have been named as follows: Christian Clay, Mary Clay, his wife; Jonathan Sutton, Robert Ogden, Jonathan Sharp, Jane Mills, wife of Robert Mills; Mary Johnson, wife of Andrew Johnson; Gabriel Paine, John Linn, and Martha, his wife. April 8, 1810, there were 40 on the roll. May 14, 1819, there were 99 active members of the church, and 49 of them were dismissed to form the church of North Hardiston, and 13 to form that of Hamburg; leaving 37 to continue the First Church of Hardiston. In 1828, there were 64, and on January 1, 1839, 134. Proceedings of the Centennial Anniversary of the Presbyterian Church at Sparta, N.J., November 23, 1886, Together with a History of the Village
After the dismissing of 62 members to form the churches of North Hardyston and Hamburg, May, 1819, there remained but the following 37: Christian Clay, Mary Clay, Robert Ogden, Jane Mills, Mary Johnson, John Butler, Polly Butler, Nancy Pitney, Martha Corwin, Margaret Joialomon, Margaret Hurd, Mary Morrow, Sarah Roberts Hindes, William Corwin, Rebecca Sutton, Mary Johnson, Sarah Van Duzer, Rhoda Ba'ey, Phoebe Munson, James Morrow, Jane Morrow, Mary McCullom, William Durling, Sarah A. Durling, Samuel Johnson, Hannah Robinson, Charity Pierson, Nancy Hurd, Bethany Osborn, Phebe Matthers, Rachel Wade, Phoebe Easton, Mary Durling, Samuel Wade, Mary E. Ban, Daniel Lanterman, Barbara Lanterman.
Mary married Christian CLAY before 1766. (Christian CLAY was born about 1725 in Berlin, Germany and died about 1820 in New Jersey.)